Welcome, Guest: Join Nigeria Student Forum / Login / Trending Now / Recent

Stats: 17,653 members, 70,926 Topics, 15,592 Comments. Date: Jul 20 2019, 6:43 pm

Teenage Boy's Jaw Shattered, Teeth Missing, Following Explosion Of Vape Pen Battery In His Mouth

Nigeria Student Forum / General Discussion / Teenage Boy's Jaw Shattered, Teeth Missing, Following Explosion Of Vape Pen Battery In His Mouth

(Go Down)
Choice Kenneth
You need Jesus
Luke 13v5
100Level, Nigeria.
A teenage boy from Nevada shattered his jaw and broke several of his teeth after his electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth, which he’d bought to help him quit smoking last year.

Austin Adams, 17, who lives in Rural Ely, was rushed to Primary Children’s Hospital, Salt Lake City – an agonizing five hour drive away – after the device blew up in his face in March 2018.

His mother Kailani Burton had recently brought him the smoking tool from a company called VGOD, in a bid to ease her son’s addiction to tobacco.

‘Austin came in with his hand up to his mouth,’ Burton, 45, recalled to NBC News of the incident. ‘He was in shock and unable to speak’.

The surgeons had to sew Adam's gum line back together, put plates along his jawbone and issue him temporary braces to keep his remaining teeth aligned. His jaw had to be wired shut for six weeks, limiting him to a diet of liquid and pureed foods
The surgeons had to sew Adam's gum line back together, put plates along his jawbone and issue him temporary braces to keep his remaining teeth aligned. His jaw had to be wired shut for six weeks, limiting him to a diet of liquid and pureed foods
Burton said she was forced to take her son all the way to Salt Lake City Primary, as it was the only facility that could handle his blast injury, as well as the severe burns to his mouth.

Dr. Katie Russell, one of the trauma surgeons who treated Adams, profiled the case on Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The teen underwent ‘open reduction and internal fixation of the fracture, dental extraction, and debridement of devitalized tissue,’ according to Russell.

Adams’ story follows an announcement by the FDA last week regarding the finalization of new safety guidelines for manufacturers attempting to bring tobacco products – including e-cigarettes – to market.

The FDA will now require detailed information about the types of batteries developers are hoping to use, as well as safety precautions to minimize the likelihood of the product exploding, overheating, or catching fire.

His mother Kailani Burton said she was forced to take her son all the way to Salt Lake City Primary, as it was the only facility that could handle his blast injury, as well as the severe burns to his mouth
His mother Kailani Burton said she was forced to take her son all the way to Salt Lake City Primary, as it was the only facility that could handle his blast injury, as well as the severe burns to his mouth
She had recently brought him the smoking tool from a company called VGOD, in a bid to ease her son’s addiction to tobacco
She had recently brought him the smoking tool from a company called VGOD, in a bid to ease her son’s addiction to tobacco
According to the body, E-cigarette explosions most commonly occur when the devices’ lithium-ion battery overheats.

However, while the FDA may be issuing warning letters to manufacturers of electronic smoking products warning of marketing violations and sales to minors, they haven’t issued warnings about the potential of the batteries overheating and exploding, NBC reported.

Instead, the agency is asking companies to re-work their products to minimize the risks of injuries such as Adams’ from occurring.

‘The FDA encourages manufacturers interested in making modifications to address battery safety issues to contact the agency to discuss options on how they can do so in a timely fashion and the FDA will consider each situation on a case-by-case basis,’ a spokesman from the body said.

Russell said the product’s drastic malfunction was ‘totally unexpected’ as her son had been using the vape pen completely regularly beforehand, until it suddenly erupted into flames.

The teenager was left with a gaping hole in his gums, the Dr. Russell confirmed.

Adam’s other surgeon, Dr. Jonathan Skirko told the NY Daily News that the teen’s injuries were the first of the kind he’d ever seen.

The FDA has announced new guidelines, which will now require detailed information about the types of batteries developers are hoping to use, as well as safety precautions to minimize the likelihood of the product exploding, overheating, or catching fire
The FDA has announced new guidelines, which will now require detailed information about the types of batteries developers are hoping to use, as well as safety precautions to minimize the likelihood of the product exploding, overheating, or catching fire
‘His injury was fairly extensive where he had lost several teeth. There was not really much tissue along his gum line where the teeth sit either,’ Skirko said.

‘I deal with lots of jaw fractures and have seen lots of really exotic trauma, like grizzly bear attack or riding a motorcycle...I’ve seen all kinds of crazy stuff,’ he added. ‘[But] I’ve never seen an e-cigarette explode.’

The surgeons had to sew Adams’ gum line back together, put plates along his jawbone and issue him temporary braces to keep his remaining teeth aligned.

His jaw had to be wired shut for six weeks, limiting him to a diet of liquid and pureed foods.

Though his injuries may have been severe, the occurrence of an e-cigarette exploding is far from uncommon, with a study undertaken by the BMJ reporting that 2,035 e-cig explosions and burn injuries were sustained between 2015 and 2017 nationwide.

A malfunctioning vape also claimed the life of one Texas man in January of this year, when an e-cigarette he was using blew-up in his face and left a ‘penetrating trauma’ – later killing him.

Around 3.6 million middle and high school students used e-cigarettes last year, the FDA revealed.

Ironically, Adams’ said he hasn’t smoked a single cigarette or used a vape since.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7161193/Teenage-boy-left-shattered-jaw-missing-teeth-vape-pen-exploded.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus
Teenage Boy

0 Like

You need Jesus.

Don't have an account? Use the form below to signup for a Nigeria Student Forum Account




E.g Seuncoded





I agree to the terms of service

Viewing this topic:
2 guests viewing this topic
Download the Ngstudentforum app for Android Devices

Disclaimer: Every Nigeria Student Forum member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nigeria Student Forum.
- Copyright © 2016 - 2019. All rights reserved.
For enquiries & feedbacks send email to: Ngstudentforum@gmail.com